School Bus

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Tool #9

I think it is important to tie technology use directly to objectives so that students view the technology as a learning source and not just a toy. So many of their parents, and even the kids themselves, have iPhones, iPads, and computers at home. When you ask them about their favorite thing to do when using these items they almost always reply with "play games." I am SO happy that many of my students already know how to use technology, but I want them to know how much they can LEARN from these devices, not just how much fun they can have playing games.

It is important to hold students accountable for everything they do, including using technology in the classroom. After reading through the information for Tool 9, I really like the idea of having some sort of "technology binder" where students would write the date, the name of the technology station they went to, and what activity they completed.

One website my students could use in literacy centers is Learning Games for Kids. I found multiple games that my students could use in word work center - Word Scramble, Hangman, Word Search, Short Vowel Puzzles, and tons of vocabulary games that will help students master parts of speech. What I love most about this website is that it seems very kid-friendly. The other sites I visited looked like I would have choose specific activities for students to use as they were not as easy to navigate through.

LOVE that there is a database available to search for apps and websites I can use in my classroom! I was a little concerned that I would have to search far and wide to find these things on my own, so I am very excited about this resource! A few apps I am excited to download for math are Counting Coins and Write Answer: Sums, a class favorite in the library! I also found a couple of apps I think will be great for literacy centers are Shake and Spell and A Bee See Sight Words. I like that both of these apps allow for differentiation.

As I stated above, I think a good idea for holding students accountable would be to have them record the date, station, and activity they complete each time they use the technology. They could have an individual "Technology Log" which would act like a reading log that they are already familiar with. This is just one idea, so I think it will be beneficial to talk to others on my campus to see what they plan to do as well. I also think it will be important to teach students to take ownership of taking care of the technology. I plan to implement a new job in our classroom called "Technician." This person will be responsible for making sure each computer is shut down properly at the end of the day and that each computer and iTouch are locked in the cart before they leave for the day. This person will also be the "go-to-guy" when students have trouble during centers. This will help to ensure that each students becomes somewhat of an expert with the technology.

I am excited to think of other ways to use to incorporate the use of iTouches in the classroom in a way that does not involve playing with apps. I think it would be fun for students to be able to video record themselves giving presentations. This would especially help those who are so painfully shy that they forget what they want to say in front of a large group. We have a classroom blog and I think it would be great for students to be able to use the iTouches to become our classroom photographers - it would mean I wouldn't have to walk around frantically with my camera and it would give students the opportunity to contribute more to the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment