School Bus

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Tool #8

I am really excited to be getting new technology in my classroom. We just found out that we would be getting 5 netbooks and 5 iTouches for my 2nd graders to use in the classroom. It amazes me how much students already know about laptops and apple products like iPods so it will be great to be able to see them "in their element" when using these tools.

After watching the videos, I was pleased to see that the netbooks each have a webcam and a hook-up for a projector. I also learned that we will have an iTunes account specifically for our classrooms; it will be nice to be able to keep all of these apps and programs separate from a personal iTunes account.

Our Librarian, Ms. Lee, has been great about letting my class come to the library to learn how to responsibly use laptops and iTouches. I send a group of students daily to do math centers on iTouches in the library because I wanted them to be able to have some experience before getting the technology in our classroom. I think this will be a huge help in having my students handle the materials correctly.

When we do get our classroom technology, I think it will be important to discuss rules and procedures just like we did the first few weeks of school regarding classroom behaviors. We will create anchor charts about expected behavior and discuss consequences that will occur if students are not using the materials responsibly. I plan to have my students use the laptops and iTouches during centers, and also to publish writing samples or projects. I am so excited to be able to allow my students to use technology daily!

1 comment:

  1. I think you're going to be able to do GREAT things with your classroom technology, but don't stop sending them to the Library! I'd miss them! :)

    ReplyDelete